Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My sister Kathy sent me recipe for a whole chicken. I could not believe how easy it was and the chicken was so juicy. Best of all I was able to get three seperate meals out of the chicken, plus enough chicken broth for two seperate meals.
Here's how she makes it.
Rinse chicken place in crockpot sprayed w/nonstick spray. You don't need any liquid. Then sprinkle your favorite spices(garlic & paprika). Place lid on crock, set on low and walk away for about 7 hours.
Remove chicken from the crock pot cut and serve.
DO NOT Dump the liquid in the crock pot.

If you don't want to serve the chicken for dinner, allow the chicken to cool and then remove the meat from the bones.
You can use meat like you would any other cooked chicken in a variety of recipes. Once you have removed all the meat from bones, put the bones back in the crock pot and add about five cups of water .
I also put the skin back in the crock pot since my kids won't eat it.
Set the crock pot on the low setting and cover.
Leave overnight.
In the morning you will have a crock pot full of bones and chicken broth and your house will smell like Boston Market for the next day or two.
Strain out the bones and you homemade chicken broth.
I store my broth in large yogurt containers. I got about 50 oz. of broth from one chicken.
After you put broth in container, place in fridge to cool. When broth has totally cooled a layer of fat will be on the top.
Scrape of fat with a spoon and broth is ready to be used or can be stored for up to
6 mo. in freezer.
I put the broth in some empty salsa jars I had.

My family had chicken and potatos the first night and then I made chicken enchiladas and poppy seed chicken with the extra chicken along with a chicken pot pie which used up some of the broth. It was so yummy and excited to see the chicken go such a long way. Thank you Kathy!!! My entire family loved it!

3 comments:

  1. Oh how fun! I'm so excited to have another fun blog to follow! I'll be refering to it often, since I know I love the food you make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. I remember when Barbara B. Smith, general RS president, told us to get three meals out of one chicken. And here you are, doing it so luciously. You make me smile. Think I'll go get a chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I will have to try this! Funny because just yesterday I put chicken into cook all day for poppy seed chicken. Wish I would have seen this first- of course they were just breats- but fryers are sure cheaper. Thanks for the tidbits!

    ReplyDelete